Four People Have Now Died From Vaping In Illinois
Another Illinois resident has passed away from an illness related to vaping, reports Local News 4.
The person had recently been hospitalized with a lung injury connected to the use of an e-cigarette, reports the Illinois Department of Public Health.
The death comes just two weeks after a third Illinois resident died from a vaping related illness.
Health officials have been able to pinpoint the cause behind the illnesses and deaths: vitamin E acetate.
U.S. health officials recently reported finding the chemical compound – vitamin E acetate – in all the fluid samples collected from the lungs of 29 patients across the country. The compound is used as an additive in the production of e-cigarette or vaping products.
Over 160 Illinois residents have experienced lung illnesses related to vaping, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Most of the samples collected by the FDA also contained THC. 80 percent of the cases involving illness from e-cigarettes involved the use of THC products.