Since marijuana has become legal in Illinois, veterinarians are getting more calls about pets accidentally ingesting cannabis, according to the Chicago Sun Times.

My little dog once got into some dark chocolate during the holidays and it sent his heart racing and the rest of us racing him to the animal emergency center. It wasn't his fault, the candy was left where he could reach it and he found it irresistible.

I'm not sure a dog would find marijuana flower tasty, but dogs would definitely go for some of the edibles which also became legal in Illinois Jan. 1.

Edible products, pose a special risk because they are often mixed with other products such as chocolate or other complex sugars that are also poisonous to dogs according to the American Veterinary Medical Association.

THC, the psychoactive substance in marijuana, is toxic to dogs. Ingestion of THC by animals can cause vomiting, incoordination, depression, sleepiness or excitation, low blood pressure, low body temperature and seizures, according to the veterinary organization.

Of course, it's more readily available now with legal weed. It doesn't do the same thing to animals than it does to humans,

According to the Chicago Sun Times,

"We’ve seen a marked increase in any state that has legalized marijuana, where there’s been a huge spike in the amount of cases of animals coming into veterinary hospitals, clearly under the effects of marijuana,” said Dr. John de Jong, the American Veterinary Medical Association president.

To be safe, just keep all the weed products away from pets.

If your pet ingests marijuana, you should call your veterinarian immediately. 

Enter your number to get our free mobile app