New Laws to Take Effect in Illinois Quad Cities on January 1
The new year signals a new beginning - a time to re-evaluate, commit to new goals, or in the case of the state, enact new laws. Over 200 new laws will go into effect in Illinois on January 1.
- The so-called "tampon tax" will disappear, ensuring that feminine hygiene products are not taxed at a higher rate than other items found at the pharmacy.
- Renters can be subject to a $500 fine if rental equipment is not returned on time.
- U.S. Savings bonds not cashed in beyond 5 years after their date of maturity will be considered forfeit.
- Part-time employees making less than $13.50 will not be required to sign non-compete agreements.
- Rear lights on motorcycles can be blue. Not sure why this is necessary.
They say ignorance of the law is no excuse, so get yourself up to date with the list of new laws that ABC 7 Chicago has rounded up here.