Still Need Help With Your Taxes?
If you've been putting off getting your taxes done here's help. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) project will prepare your taxes for FREE. According to our QC United Way website you qualify if your household earns $57,000 or less per year.
United Way reps say the average tax return filed by VITA is $1,500 per family. A total of $5.2 million was returned to Quad Cities residents last year, saving a total of $1 million in fees.
Trained volunteers will prepare your taxes at no cost and they will make sure you receive all the tax credits you are eligible for including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC).
These IRS-certified volunteers can also answer any questions you have about building savings and protecting your finances. Many locations will also offer you the opportunity to open a savings account and have your tax return deposited directly to that account. Returns are deposited into your account in 3 to 5 days on average.
The following items are necessary to prepare your tax return:
- Driver's License or Photo ID
- Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for all members in your family
- All W-2 Forms
- Prior year tax return
- Account numbers for electronic deposit of refund
- All 1099 Forms
- 1099-INT Interest from your bank
- 1099-R Pensions, Annuities, Retirement Plans
- Health insurance documentation
- If filing jointly, your spouse must be present
Stop putting off the inevitable! In most cases your taxes can be prepared in under an hour. April 15th will be here soon.